Last month when I was on holiday, ‘Pen’, who blogs anonymously at The Single Swan and whom I admire and respect greatly, nominated me for the One Lovely Blog award. Thank you Pen! This is an award from a blogger to a fellow blogger as a sign of appreciation of their blog.
To take part, I must share 7 random facts about me….here we go
1) I read a book about sharks when I was about 7 and a man called Rodney Fox was featured in it due to surviving the most horrific Great White Shark attack. He went on to work on the film Jaws and continues to fight for their protection, speaking all around the world and he and his son run diving expeditions in Australia.
When I was 25, I had managed to save up enough money and flew out to dive with Great White Sharks and was able to go on the trip as crew, helped out with night watches and got to spend 3 days with Rodney, my hero. I’ve become good friends with his son and on my last day in Australia, I was going to go to Rodney’s house for tea but unfortunately, a diver was taken by a great white, right outside my hotel (much deeper though, not on the shore) and the media descended and Rodney and his son Andrew were needed to give comment. Unbelievable. It was so shocking and surreal. The diver, sadly, was not found.
Rodney’s scars – one of the less gory photo’s that fascinated me as a child! How weird was I?!
Me in the cage, 2 Great White’s, a very happy me and Rodney on the boat.
2) As a joke, I convinced my ex-husband that I was related to someone famous. He bought it hook line and sinker, so much so that without me knowing, he told his parents. On the first occasion that I ever met them, I had to come clean that it was a joke. They didn’t seem impressed….
3) I can pick pretty much anything up with my toes. They also make a pretty good weapon and both my sister and I can nip with them! They are referred to as my lobster toes.
4) As a busy new mum, I had no time or money to go and get my hair cut. It grew so long that in the end, I had it cut and donated 11 inches to charity.
5) I hate being on my own unless I can sleep.
6) I’m dreading the day that my little man starts school and someone is able to tell me when I can and cannot spend time with my child. I hate the thought of a sunny day and not being able to be spontaneous and drive to the beach. My ideal life would be to travel the world and homeschool. If only my body could manage and my bank could pay.
7) When I lived in Trinidad, I went to see the Leather back turtles laying and hatching. The ones that reach the surface during day light, are gathered up and kept in the shade, away from predators until night time when they are released and follow the moon to the sea. It was an amazing experience. When I saw the Mother’s laying the eggs, I was overcome with emotion and cried.
I now nominate:
Abi from Mum In A Hurry
Grace from Eats Amazing
Sarah from Life In A Breakdown
Ellie from The Mummy Diary
Emma from It’s Mostly Ok
Sarah from Run, Jump, Scrap
Lucie from Our World & Autism
Karen from Missing Sleep
Stevie from A Cornish Mum
Dave from The DADventurer
Bloggers, to accept the award apparently, you simply have to do the following:
1. Thank the person who nominated you for the award.
2. Add the One Lovely Blog badge to your post.
3. Share seven facts about yourself.
4. Nominate up to 15 bloggers you admire by posting a comment on their blog (or nominating them via Twitter).
I look forward to reading your 7 random facts